Greatly influenced by the recordings of Chet Atkins, Andres Segovia, Roger Williams and Frank Wess, he taught himself how to play the guitar, piano and flute which began at the age of 7. Before going to formal studies, he has performed a first guitar concert at the age of 17.
Ric earned a Bachelor of Music Education degree with piano as principal instrument in St. Paul University Manila. In graduation, his alma mater presented him a Special Award in Music Performance. Ric was a recipient of the Philippine government scholarship in classical guitar and composition. He was a first prize awardee of both the classical and jazz guitar competitions in the Philippine Guitar Festival by the Yamaha School of Music.
Ric is based in Los Angeles, California where he teaches and manages a recording studio. He has recorded, produced and arranged music for Mon David, Charmaine Clamor, Emil Mijares, Tateng Katindig, among others. A veteran musician on cruise ships and 5 star hotels, his vast repertoire generate demands for accompaniment to singers and soloists alike. Aside from being active in all facets of secular music activities, he serves as a Music Director in various local churches.
He is a recipient as an Instrumentalist of the Year 2017 by the Spotlight Award in Los Angeles.
With all the music activities he undertake, results in a creative mind, which allow him to put into writing his musical ideas, producing music literature available to clients around the world.
He exceeds excellent reviews on YouTube.
Ric advocates for the 7-string guitar, asserting that the added string expands the tonal range of the instrument, hence giving more concepts for richer arrangements and added playability.
Ickard is pronounced as: ai-kard
- "You got a great technique and your classical expertise is excellent!" - Nato Lima of "Los Indios Tabajaras"
- Ric excels in both Chet style and classical music. He first brought his talents to Chet Atkins Appreciation Society in 1992 and has impressed us with his gentle and articulate guitar styles. - Chet Atkins Appreciation Society
- "Ric Ickard is now gaining an international reputation establishing a concert career in United States and abroad. He is a unique and passionate guitarist with ample technique and musicality" - Douglas Back, concert artist
- Ric is a delight to listen to and very talented. He made his playing look easy. He had everyone cheering and hollerin' with delight. - Association of Fingerstyle Guitarists (www.afg.org)
- Ric Ickard deserves congratulations on an outstanding projects. They are excellent in every way - the playing, choice of material and superb sound quality. His CDs represent a tasteful blend of styles from classical to folk to jazz. He is talented many times over. - Pat Kirtley, guitarist and producer, historian (Recording Magazine)
- His varied repertoire covers a broad musical spectrum, amply demonstrated on all his CDs. In public, you never know what to expect next from him. One moment he will be picking like Chet Atkins, the next like Lenny Breau or Segovia. - Burt Zeldin, guitarist and scientist (Cassini Project, planet Saturn)
- "It's a wonder how anyone could evoke so many moods and feelings from a guitar. And to move a listener!! Wow! That's a real gift. And the agility of your fingers and the wit of your sounds, playful one time, haunting the next. Where have you been hiding? ... More people should hear your musical genius". - Bernard Bernardo, screen and stage actor par excellence
- “I attended a Ric Ickard concert in Australia and what a player he is. His touch, feel, technique and passion was inspiring and an honor to experience. - Stephen Venus, Victoris, Australia